Interview with the “Launching Your Daughter” Podcast
Interview with: Launching Your Daughter podcast, “How Parents Support Their Teens Discovering Their Gender Identity,” Episode #37. Hosted by Nicole Burgess, LMFT, DCC.
Date of release: January 10, 2017
Episode length: 33 minutes
From the host:
Today’s guest is Dara Hoffman-Fox who is a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), gender therapist, speaker and author of You and Your Gender Identity: A Guide to Discovery. Her private practice is located in Colorado Springs, CO. Dara works with transgender, gender variant, and gender questioning individuals.
In this episode you will learn:
- What is a gender therapist
- What is transgender and non-binary
- How parents can support their child or teen
- Fears parents have voiced
How parents can support their teen in discovering their gender identity:
- What does it mean to be transgender?
- Ask teenager what their discomfort level is from scale of 1 to 10
- Listen for comments where child or teen begins to wonder or challenge why that have to do specific gender based behaviors when they feel differently
- Having dialog about gender identity and if family needs more support go to a gender therapist
- Share your support with your teenager
- Create a safe space for them to be able to share their feelings and normalize this experience with them
- What is non-binary?
Fears parents have voiced:
- Fears are normal and dialog continues to open up more regarding gender identity
- Sometimes it is not easy for families depending on where you live, support system, school systems, etc
- May receive some negative feedback from others
You and Your Gender Identity:
- Dara discussed her book for young adults, adults and therapist as a resource
- Has various exercises to go through to discover gender identity
- Used template of Hero’s Journey by Joseph Campbell
- Reader is on their life’s journey through the exercises
- Gain a deeper understanding of yourself
- The more you can truly know yourself at a younger age can reduce the odds of you making choices that don’t fit for you