Finding out that someone in your life is transgender/gender nonconforming can present all sorts of challenges, questions, and even fears for those involved. Let me reassure you that it’s okay to feel unsure about what you should do, say, or think.
By coming to a site like this, one that is filled with transgender education and resources, you are already taking an incredibly important step for both you and your transgender loved one: increasing your awareness and understanding of the transgender experience.
Besides that, you will also find support, inspiration, and stories of others whom you might be able to relate to.
This is a process that needs to be taken slowly, by everyone involved. There’s no right or wrong way to go about this – only what is right for YOU and your loved one.
My hope is to help you find your way through this change in your relationship with your loved one with honesty, compassion, and eventual clarity.
HERE ARE A FEW POSTS TO GET YOU STARTED:
Also, my 2016 publication YOU AND YOUR GENDER IDENTITY: A GUIDE TO DISCOVERY provides a great deal of information about gender identity, the process of discovering one’s authentic gender identity, and finding support and resource to help along the way. You can learn more and order a copy here.
ADDITIONAL TRANS RESOURCES
There are a lot of other great sites out there with information worth checking out. Here are a few that I recommend:
- For Partners/Spouses: Bobbie Thompson’s Website, en|gender, She Was the Man of My Dreams, Love, Always: Partners of Trans People on Intimacy, Challenge, & Resistance
- For Family (General): Laura’s Playground: “Support for Significant Others and Family, Human Rights Coalition: “Resources for People with Transgender Family Members”, PFLAG’s “Our Trans Loved Ones”
- For Parents of Trans/Gender-Variant Youth: Resources for Families of Gender-Variant and Transgender Children, TransYouth Family Allies, Raising my Rainbow, Gendermom, Call Him Hunter, Trans-Parenting, TransFamily Support Services, The Gender Creative Child (book), The Conscious Parents’ Guide to Gender Identity: A Mindful Approach to Embracing Your Child’s Authentic Self (book)
- General Information: Answers to Your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity and Gender Expression, GLAAD’s Transgender Resources
- For Allies: GLAAD’s Tips for Allies of Transgender People, Common Missteps of Trans Allies, Superhero Supporters
ARTICLES OF INTEREST (FOR PARENTS OF TRANS* KIDS/TEENS)
Study: Trans Kids Thrive with Supportive Families
Transgender Kids Identify With Their Gender As Completely As Cisgender Kids
Transgender Kids Are Not Confused Or Pretending, Study Finds
Transgender Youth Identity Reveals Significance Of Parental Acceptance
(Trans) Parent Support Science Just Proved That Being Transgender Is Not a Phase
When Do Kids Know They’re Transgender? Younger Than You’d Think
10 Things Every Parent of a Transgender Child Needs to Know
9 Inspirational Stories of Transgender Kids & Their Supportive Parents
Watch this 7-Year Old Share Her Inspirational Story About Being Transgender
What If My Child Weren’t Transgender?
When parenting a trans child, let them teach you
Your Questions Answered by gendermom
Advice for a Parent Whose Child Just Told Them They are Transgender
Non-Binary Youth Workshop
ARTICLES OF INTEREST (FOR LOVED ONES IN GENERAL)
YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF INTEREST