As a gender therapist I get a lot of questions about how figuring out one’s sexual orientation can be very confusing when you are also trying to figure out your gender identity. In this video I address this from a few different angles that will hopefully give you more clarity around this complicated topic.
Here are some of the highlights from the video:
- How gender identity and sexual orientation are different, and how they can also affect one another.
- You get to decide how you want to identify, when it comes to your sexual orientation!
- Approaching the question for someone who identifies as a trans man and wants to know, if they are attracted to females, “Am I gay, straight, or bi?”
- Approaching the question for someone who identifies as a trans woman and is attracted to men, and since this includes those who identify as gay, bi, straight, and trans, she wants to know, “What is my sexual orientation?”
- Approaching the question for someone who thinks they might be a trans guy, but also wondering if maybe they are “just a lesbian?”
- Approaching the question for someone who’s teenage daughter came out as being a trans guy and wondering how can they help their teen be sure that that’s true, as opposed to actually being gay.
Please do so in the comments below!